What do we basically need to buy a MIG welder? “Money”- most of us would reply without thinking! But before spending your money on such a useful thing, isn’t it ‘necessary’ to know more about these mechanical tools, their characteristics, their prices or simply about their substitutes?
By researching about welders and then purchasing them would do two things (or probably three)!
First, your hard earned money won’t go down the drain
Second, the welders would provide you with all the services it promises to serve (thus a mental satisfaction).
So, to provide you with some mental satisfaction let us introduce you to this article which will guide you by providing all the necessary information regarding welder’s features, pros, and cons- so that you end up making a wise decision. But since the budget is an issue for half of the readers, if not all, we would be dividing the article on the basis of two different price categories- Mig Welders Under $500 and Mig Welders Under $1000- to cover the needs of every-wannabe-welder-holder.
Top-rated Mig Welder Under $500 & $1000 for 2019
Best Mig Welders under $500
1. Hobart Handler 140 MIG Welder
- Welds 24 gauge up to ¼” mild steel
- 25 - 140 output amperage
- Duty cycle: 20% at 90 amps
- 5 position tapped voltage control
- 200 amperage heavy duty work clamp
- Weight: 57 lbs.
- Dual-groove and quick-change drive roll.
Starting with the best MIG welder under $500, Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG Welder 115V is here to help all those beginners to get started with welding. It is the perfect choice if you are looking for a welder to weld at home, yard, farm or small shops.
This little guy is ready to get started right out of the box. And don’t worry about the parts, as the product comes with all the necessary components, such as a spool of the flux core wire, regulator with gas hose and a 10 foot MIG gun.
Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG Welder 115V can run on the only 110volt and can be used at any household. Thinner materials would give you no tension, as the welder can easily weld aluminum, mild and stainless steel. With the help of flux-core, thicker materials can also be welded, but the thickness should have to be within 1/4 inch.
The only things you need are a gas cylinder and safety equipment, and you are good to go.
- Less spatters
- Designed with built-in self-programmed thermal overload system
- 20% Duty Cycle at 90 amperages, 19 VDC
- Short circuit safety protection against high power surge
- Heavy, 65 pounds
- Not compatible with battery power source or generators
2. Forney Easy Weld MIG Machine
- Great for do it Yourselfers
- Includes everything you need to get started
- Individual part numbers included for easy reorder
- Click on the (BY FORNEY) name above in blue under the title to view our full catalog of Welders, Abrasives, Chain/Wire Rope, Tools and more!
For all those DIY enthusiasts, let me bring Forney Easy Weld 125 FC MIG Machine to you to make your DIY projects a whole lot intriguing. This MIG consumes the power of 120 volts but can start working with 115V anywhere you want.
The product comes with an installation manual; easy to read and apply. It is extremely lightweight with only being 57 pounds, and the dimension measuring 24.5 x 24.5 x 25inches. These characteristics make Forney MIG easy to carry and transfer. So if you are someone who likes to visit the place to place and a great DIY enthusiast then Forney Easy Weld 125 FC MIG Machine is the one for you.
Plus, the package that comes with the welder includes all the necessary items you would ever need while welding. Strong, well-built and extremely easy to set up, this tool can weld both thinner and thicker materials, but keep in mind that when welding material- the thickness should never exit 1/8 inch.
- Easy to setup and maintain
- Without skipping a beat, it can weld up to 1/8 inch of ironic metals.
- Suitable for household repairs, auto body maintenance, farmhouse, and DIY projects
- Easily accessible
- Can be used anywhere where there is electricity (as it runs on only 115 volts).
- Not recommended for industrial projects
- Limited settings adjustments
- Not a powerful welder
3. HYL MIG130 Combo MIG Welder
- Input Power: 110/115/120V
- Amperage Range: 10A - 120A (110V)
- Duty Cycle: 25% 110V
- Rated Output: 130A
- Dimensions: 15 x 7x 12 inches
Now, let’s be serious, this HYL MIG130 Combo MIG Welder comes with a high price among the bunch. But if you are serious about welding, and want to start your journey with something “posh” and good-looking, I would have chosen this even if I was blindfolded.
HYL MIG130 Combo MIG Welder uses flux-core wire of 0.030 and comes in a neon-yellow case- which is sure to grab anyone’s attention. But don’t go only for its look, as it also includes all the necessary components that you want in a welder, such as MIG gun, grounding cable, ground clamp, etc.
With a high duty cycle and two years warranty, you will never be disappointed with this professional grade welding equipment.
- Runs on 110 volts, so can be used anywhere
- 2-year warranty provided by the company
- Lightweight, with only being 38.2 pounds
- Operates at a professional level
- It can’t weld on stainless steel and aluminum
- Not durable
- Doesn’t come with speed settings
4. Lotos 140 Amp MIG Wire Welder
- Input Voltage: 110/120V
- Welding Capacity: 18 Gauge - 3/16
Continuing the saga of best MIG welder under $500, our next favorite is the Lotos MIG140 140 Amp MIG Wire Welder. This is ‘best’ for so many reasons, but let me highlight the main ones.
First, you can find yourself working with this welder anywhere as it runs on only 110 to 120V input voltage (available in households), so finding a power source for this welder is pretty easy. You have to be cautious about one thing- just make sure you are running on 30 A Breaker in order to get the maximum benefit.
I know, the price is at the edge of $500, but it’s worth every penny. All your tough projects and your favorite DIYs will be done in the blink of an eye, once you own this powerful yet convenient tool. Talking of “worth” huh?
There’s more! Its automatic Wire Feeder sizes are amazing as it covers almost all materials with varying wire sizes. For example, for steel the wire-size range varies from .025″ to .030″, for Flux-Core it is .030″ to .035″, and so on.
Now let’s talk about something practical, its weight. With 54 pounds, it is not the lightest weight welder out there in the market, I agree. But if you look at its dimension, which is 9.6″ x 16″ x 14.5″, it’s not actually that “hulky”. You can still easily carry this tool from place to place which has such dimensions.
Now, if you are still unsatisfied with the performance, don’t worry as this product comes with 100% money-return-guarantee, within 30 days of use. Plus, the 1-year warranty is there for you if you need to replace any faulty components.
- Recommended for advanced welders
- Portable with user-friendly dimensions
- Provides both gas and gas-less operations.
- Multiple wire feeder sizes
- 30-Day Money Return Guarantee.
- 1-year Warranty
- Heavier than some of the other welders in the market
- Some customers complained that they received few faulty components in the package
5. Klutch MIG 140SI Inverter-Powered Wire-Feed MIG Welder
Ending our list of ‘best MIG welder under $500′ with this inverter-based tool that will provide you the best service with the smallest transmitter. What makes this Klutch MIG 140SI Inverter-Powered Wire-Feed MIG Welder unique from other traditional welders is its inverter-based system. Because of this innovative system, the tool requires less power supply to use. Plus, it smartly handles any power fluctuations, thus providing a smoother welding experience. Along with this, you will also find that the product is really lightweight (37.1 pounds) and this is also for the same reason, i.e. its Inverter-Powered Wire-Feed technology.
Klutch MIG 140SI can easily weld materials like mild and stainless steel because of its amazing welding control where the amperage range being 30 to 140 Amps. Don’t worry about welding aluminum, as it has the spool gun provided in the package. In terms of the material thickness, you can weld materials with 1/4” to 1/2” inch thickness without your thermal going crazy or shutting off.
You can use Klutch MIG 140SI Inverter-Powered Wire-Feed MIG Welder with or without a protecting gas. The package comes with 10 feet ground cable, MIG Torch, gas horse, spot timer and a regulator.
As a cherry on the top, you get a 3 years warranty with Klutch, which is the highest among the bunch.
- Great welding control over varying materials
- The inverter-based system maximizes power output and handles power fluctuations.
- Can be used with to without a protective gas.
- High performance
- 3 years warranty
- Expensive than some of its competitors.
Best Mig Welder under $1000
1. LOTOS 175AMP Mig Welder
- Input Voltage: 110 V
- Output AMPs: Maximum 140 A
- Welding Capacity: 24 Gauge - 3/16”
- Operates on 200-240V, dual frequency 50/60Hz
- Dimensions: 18 x 12.5 x 10.5 inches
- Weight: 85 pounds
Here’s a “Hi” to the second installment of this article.
Starting this with the best MIG welder under $1000- LOTOS MIG175 175AMP Mig Welder has everything you want in a welder. When you spend a heavy price on a welder, what do you want in it?- Something that makes it easy to set up, durable, portable, has the control to weld anything and everything…?
Your search ends here because LOTOS MIG175 175AMP Mig Welder has it all.
First and foremost, it operates on 200-240V, so yes you would need higher volts to use this professionally used welder. With this, you can weld any material you want, say, mild steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and other metal kind materials – thanks to its flux-core and its own gas regulator system. Its welding capacity for steel is 18 gauzes with thickness up to 1/4”, and for aluminum, it is 3/16”. But bear in mind that you would need a separate spool gun in the period of welding aluminum (included in the package).
LOTOS MIG175 175AMP Mig Welder weighs 85 pounds with dimension being 18 x 12.5 x 10.5 inches. With this size, you can carry this welder anywhere you want and get the job done.
No worries of buying additional components as this welder comes with all the necessary components you will ever need, such as wire feed spool gun, face shield, gas hose, welding torch, argon regulator, and cleaning brushes to clean all these spare parts. With all these, you’ll find yourself ready to use LOTOS within 10 minutes out of the box.
- Easy to set up and use
- Includes an arc system
- The package comes with a spool gun for welding aluminum.
- More durable than its competitors with the same price point
- Recommended for heavy-duty and industrial projects
- Includes two electronic circuits to protect the wire feeding motor.
- Offers a high range of output.
- Can weld different metals with varying thickness.
- Not recommended for production lines.
- Cables are extremely thin to use.
- The motor driver is noisy
- Girder would cause damage to the tool.
2. MIG-195 Gas / No Gas Dual MIG Welder
- Voltage: 220v/60hz Single Phase
- Welding Current: 60-190amp
- Duty Cycle: 10% At 180amp/60% At 74 Amp/100% At 60 Amp
- Automatic Thermal Safety Protection
- Weight: 43 pounds
- Dimensions: 24.5 x 17 x 15 inches
Second in our list is the MIG-195 Gas / no gas MIG Welder. This welder has a thermal safety option which is very simple to operate.
Once you start the welder you will see 3 different terminals, namely hot, neutral, and ground. Since the neutral can be isolated from the ground, what you can do is hook the two-phase power source i.e. 110v on hot and 110v on neutral. Then simply ground it to the breaker panel. But it’s important to mention that you have to spend on different cords for this.
Since this product is extremely lightweight, it can be used for daily uses at home DIYs, garage, or in small shops.
- Welds are nice and clean
- Lightweight, 43 pounds
- Dual function with gas/no gas mode
- Comes with 190amp Mig 195 Welder W/ 2 Wheel, Welding Mask and Wire, Chipping Hammer, Wire Brush, Ground Cord, Torch and Tip
- Customers complained that it is difficult to thread the wire in the feed
- No instruction manual is provided with the welder
- Doesn’t come with a gas hose
3. MIG Welder – Handheld
- Welding & Soldering Equipment & Supplies
- Import From: Mexico
- Commercial Brand: Lincoln Electric
Our third choice for the list is Lincoln Electric’s MIG Welder, Handheld, 208/230VAC. This machine comes with two set up options, either you can use this in gas-shielded MIG welding purpose or in gas-free flux core welding. Don’t worry about tangling or crushing wire as it has its own fully adjustable drive system.
MIG Welder, Handheld, 208/230VAC can be used in varying types of welding, mainly household repairs and maintenances, metal fabrication, farm/yard fencing, auto body repairs, garage and in light industrial usages. Moreover, in terms of metal, it can weld mild, stainless steel, and aluminum with a thickness of 1/2″.
However, if you are too much conscious about the weight of a machine, then you should avoid buying Lincoln Electric’s MIG Welder and look at other options- as this tool is quite heavy with weight being 66.2 pounds. Moreover, Lincoln Electric doesn’t provide any warranty on its product, so you have to be really cautious when buying, especially towards the ground system and wiring. A faulty ground system has the potential to burn a strong motherboard, so be careful and check before you purchase!
- Can weld any material with ease
- Have wheels to make it portable
- Easy to set up with either quick connect or thumbscrews
- Very durable and well- built
- Recommended for heavy-duty projects
- Provides smooth welding arc
- Heavy (66.2 pounds)
- Falls in the expensive category
- Not ideal for beginners
4. Everlast PowerMIG 200 MIG stick welder
- Digital IGBT Inverter design
- Capable of SMAW
- Arc force control
- Weight: 35 pounds
- Dimensions: 16 x 7.5 x 15 inches
- Weld up to 7/16
This is an all-in-one welder. If you travel from place to place and you love to do your little house works by yourself- then wonder no more as I present to you 2017 Everlast Power MIG 200 200amp MIG stick welder. When this amazing welder shows you the voltage and speed digitally, you will soon know when to turn up or down the power for superior performance.
2017 Everlast PowerMIG 200 200amp MIG stick welder is uniquely designed with IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor). This IGBT provides you with an easy drive, high voltage, low spatter-stable arc performance, and faster switching speeds.
You can easily weld aluminum using this welder with the help of a speedy spool gun. But we advise not to do so, as buying a separate spool gun along with aluminum wire and argon gas will increase the overall cost than you are keeping for a welder budget.
- Simple design and easy to use
- Portable (16 x 7.5 x 15 inches) and lightweight (35 pounds)
- Can be converted from MIG to Stick mode quite instantly
- Low spatter-stable arc performance
- Has both 110V and 220V, customize according to your needs
- Affordable price
- Doesn’t come with a spool gun to weld aluminum
- Difficult to adjust settings
5. Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder
- Welds 24 gauge up to 3/8 “ mild steel
- Input power: 115 volt or 230 volt
- Weight: 87 lbs
- 7 voltage settings at 230V & 4 voltage settings at 115V
- Output amperage:115V 25 to 140; 230V 25 to 210
- Duty cycle : 115V 20% at 90 amps & 230V 30% at 150 amps
Ending our discussion of “Best Mig Welder Under $500 and $1000” with a brand called Hobart- well-known in the world of MIG welders. For all those DIY enthusiasts people, if you are still unsatisfied with all the 9 welders mentioned above, I’m sure you will find your the ONE here.
I know you have to pay a little extra, crossing our $1000 range, but what can be done! This is so good that we couldn’t ignore (imagine a sad-face-with-a-happy-heart here).
Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder serves you with dual voltage options, if you are at home use its 120V outlet and if you are in the garage, farm or at your work-station go for 220 V. Even, the welder is so cool that it comes with plugs perfect for both outlets.
This one is designed to handle SpoolRunner 100 feed gun along with its own gun and other amenities. Note: buying SpoolRunner 100 feed gun is optional, you can easily weld almost all the materials with H100S4-10 gun that comes originally with the package.
Controlling this tool is a piece of cake. You will only find 3 different switches to control the whole machine, namely, a voltage switch, the on/off switch, and an amperage switch. The voltage and amperage can be changed anytime; anywhere you want- because of its user-friendly knobs.
Talking about portability, the only little downside this one has is its weight. With 87.5 pounds, I agree this is definitely not the lightest among the bunch. But never lose hope with Hobart, as the Hobart cart is there for you to carry your welding tool anywhere you want.
- Recommended for both beginners and advanced welders
- Wire feed runs smoothly, doesn’t jam
- Dual Voltage Options provided, 120V and 220V
- A chart is provided to help the user understand which settings to use on the basis of metal, wire or gas used in welding
- Stiff ground wire
- Jagged on-off switch
- Heavy (87.5 pounds)
Frequently Asked Questions
Now let’s look at some of the questions that frequently arise in mind when you are planning to purchase a MIG Welder.
Question 1: What does the welder company mean when it says that their too has “dual power”?
Answer: This means if your home or workstation has either 110V or 240V then you can start welding with the tool by using the wire that comes with the package.
Question 2: How to get the best results when working with MIG welders?
Answer: First, check the wire’s amperage, wire feed, and voltage when you start. Stickout is the next important thing; you’ll create a cold weld if the stick out is too long. On the other hand, a shorter stick out will result in a stable arc- so always go for the shortest one applicable for the welding.
Storage and maintenance of welders are also important for an optimal output. Keeping it in a dry area, using gloves while welding, storing spool in plastic bags are some of the tips and tricks that can be followed to ensure the best result with welding.
Question 3: What sort of welding gas should I use for the welding purpose?
Answer: Three types of gas are used for shielding purpose while welding, namely argon, carbon dioxide, and helium. Usually, it depends on the type of metals to be welded to determine which gas or mixture of gas to use.
However, it is important that the shielding gas match the base metal and electrode to have a strong and proper weld.
If you have read until this, you already know which MIG welder you want to go for. But if you are still confused and want our suggestion than our favorite pick for the best MIG welder under $500 would be Forney Easy Weld FC MIG Welder and if you have some extra money to splurge than Everlast PowerMIG 200 MIG stick welder would be your go-to items. Either way, you won’t be disappointed.